Fri, Feb 11|
YMCA's Blue Ridge Assembly
15th Biennial Coalition for Education in the Outdoors (CEO) Research Symposium
February 11-13, 2022, at the YMCA’s Blue Ridge Assembly Conference Center in Black Mountain, NC, USA.
Time & Location
Feb 11, 2022, 5:00 PM EST – Feb 12, 2022, 10:00 PM EST
YMCA's Blue Ridge Assembly, 84 Blue Ridge Cir, Black Mountain, NC 28711, USA
About the Event
From February 11-13, 2022 an international research symposium will be held at the YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly Conference Center in Black Mountain, NC, USA (https://blueridgeassembly.org/)
This year's symposium will also feature a Keynote Address by Dr. Corliss Outley titled
“Stand Up!: Race, Freedom Calls and Outdoor Education”: Everyone deserves the opportunity to experience quality environmental and outdoor learning. Yet, for many the right to live, work, learn and play in the outdoors has been limited. The inclusion of all cannot be the work of one person or even one organization–individuals must work together to intentionally change policies, pedagogy, curriculum, culture, and systems.
Dr. Outley is a Professor at Clemson University in the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management and currently serves as the Founder and Director of the Race, Ethnicity, Youth and Social Equity (REYSE) Collaboratory.
Founders Fireside Chat
In celebration of the 15th Biennial CEO Research Symposium there will be a fireside chat with many of the founders of the symposium including Deb Bialeschki, Camille Bunting, Chris Cashel, Alan Ewert, Karla Henderson, Leo McAvoy and Anderson Young.
See a complete list of research presentations in pdf here:
The purpose of this gathering is to advance the empirical, conceptual, and theoretical bases of outdoor education. Like the first fourteen CEO Research Symposia, this symposium will bring together a wide array of researchers to explore current and future trends in using the outdoors for educational and therapeutic purposes. In addition to spotlighting current research, the program includes featured presentations on timely issues and ample time for both structured and informal dialogue.
The last symposium was held in 2018. We are thrilled to bring this event back and to meet in person at the YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly in Black Mountain, NC, USA just following the Wilderness Education Association’s International Conference on Outdoor Leadership to be held at the same location February 9-11, 2022. The symposium is purposely small and informal to promote productive interaction. The event draws people interested in adventure education, organized camping, environmental education and interpretation, and other outdoor education contexts. Because of the diversity of topics, the informal exchanges, and the quality of sessions, this event is a favorite of both well-established and emerging scholars in the field. It’s also affordable. Individuals whose abstracts are accepted will be expected to present their study in person at the symposium. Abstracts of all presentations will be compiled and bound for dissemination at the symposium. Previous symposia abstracts can be viewed at: www.outdooredcoalition.org
The Coalition is a non-profit network of outdoor and environmental education centers, agencies, schools and businesses that support outdoor education.
- Registration Deadline was February 1, 2022. No walk-in registrations.
- Virtual Registration is open until February 8, 2022.
- All onsite CEO registration rates include registration, lodging for two nights beginning Friday, February 11, 2022 and meals beginning with dinner Friday and ending with breakfast Sunday.
- Lodging and meals for those who want to arrive Thursday, February 10, 2022 are also available as an add-on ticket.
- Individuals arriving via air should consider flying into Asheville, NC (AVL); Greenville Spartanburg (GSP) or Charlotte, NC (CLT) (listed in order of distance from the YMCA)
- Airport shuttle service can be arranged by calling GrandyCo Transportation Services at: 828-335-0341.
- The Wilderness Education Association is offering a special ticket for Thursday night and Friday attendance at the International Conference on Outdoor Leadership for $75 for CEO attendees who want to arrive on Thursday. Please contact 2nd Nature TREC for this code to register with the WEA. Lodging and meals are paid through CEO.
- The WEA is also extending their early bird registration pricing for all CEO registrants throughout the registration period. Contact 2nd Nature TREC for this code to register with the WEA.
- Virtual attendance registration option for those who cannot attend in person. Presenters are expected to present their work in person.
- There is a Friday only CEO registration offered to those attending the WEA conference and others in the local community for $20 (does not include meals) to attend the research presentations and Dr. Outley's keynote address.
Questions regarding CEO Symposium logistics or registration can be directed to Andrew Bobilya at: abobilya@2ndnatureTREC.com